What’s the point of growing plants fast, full and tall if their vibrancy is only a façade? They may look healthy, but flowers, fruits and vegetables soaked with chemical fertilizer instead of natural compost do the earth and your body more harm than good.
If you use chemical fertilizer on your plants, you’re feeding them more nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium than they need. Yes they are necessary nutrients for plants, but not in the high doses that chemical fertilizers typically contain. Certainly you will see your plants grow quickly, but at the expense of their health, and the health of your soil.
Overwhelming your garden with too much nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium in chemical fertilizers:
- Destroys the food web in the soil – a living community, the health of which directly determines the health of your plants
- Grows plants so fast that their tissue is weakened and watery, making it more susceptible to disease and insect infestation
- Deprives your plants of other necessary nutrients
Fortunately, there need not be a disconnect between a healthy looking plant on the outside, and a healthy plant on the inside. All-natural compost helps provide for both. Plus, instead of buying expensive fertilizer, you can create your own compost using food waste that you would otherwise throw away.
- Supplies your plants with a balanced combination of nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, carbon, sulfur, iron, zinc, copper, boron and manganese
- Grows healthy plant tissue that resists disease and insects
- Improves water retention and drainage for healthy soil
There is more than one way to compost your food waste, so CompostMania provides product reviews of Compost Bins on CompostMania to help you choose the right system for you. For instance, if you invest in a grub composting bin you can break down your food waste in as little as two days time!
Regardless of which composting system you choose, what matters most is eliminating the need for chemical fertilizers in exchange for natural, cost-effective compost that you can create at home.